A skateboard is nothing without its bearings which is why finding the right set for your needs matters. Unfortunately, in a market super saturated with product of varying quality it can be difficult to find the exact equipment that you are looking for.
That is where handy guides like this one come into play! We have assembled a list of some of the best skateboard bearings on the market for people of all ages so that you have nothing to worry about. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy your ultimate guide to skateboard bearings!
My Top 3 Skateboard Bearings:
- 8 Bearings
- Made of steel
- Spacers not included
- Perform very well under pressure and are known for their long term quality.
Bones Super Swiss 6
- 8 Bearings
- Steel set + Nylon ball retainer
- Takes a bit of time to get rolling but after that they perform exceptionally.
- Long lasting well built box of bearings.
- 8 Bearings
- Steel set + Nylon ball retainer
- Comes with Spacers & Washers
- Overall a good complete set that includes everything.
Best 7 Skateboard Bearings In 2019!
This competition grade set of skateboard bearings will make a sound addition to any board. You know the deal: better bearings lead to smoother riding and quicker momentum which will make this set a great addition to your board. Let’s take a look at some of the specifications of this steel set to see if this set of bearings is right for you.
- Faster: The unique six ball design featured on the Super Swiss 6 equates to quicker speed and faster acceleration that will treat you to the smooth ride that you deserve.
- Easy To Clean: This set features removable rubber shields that make them easier to clean, and also serves to help reduce friction.
- Nylon Ball Retainer: The Super Swiss 6 set also features a nylon ball retainer that will help the bearings attain greater strength and speed.
Who This is Good For: The Super Swiss 6 set of skateboard bearings is perfect for anyone that likes to go fast, long boarders, and people with a little bit of experience. These bearings are a great tool to help intermediate boarders take their craft to the next level.
This Bronson G3s are as quick as they are affordable. This steel set features a competitive ABEC rating of seven, but of course, that isn’t quite enough to determine whether or not they are right for you. Let’s now take a closer look at the Bronson G3 Bearings set to see if the specifications are up to your needs.
- 8-Ball: The unique eight ball design is great for the boarder that likes to go quickly. The benefits of this are fairly obvious: You like speed, I like speed. Speed is good.
- Reduced Friction: The balls on this set are left exposed which makes for an interesting design touch that the manufacturers claim reduces friction.
- Spacers and Washers: This set comes with the spacers and washers included which is good mostly for the fact that not every spacer or washer is made to fit every bearing. While you need them to properly use a set of bearings, you’re often left trying to hunt down an appropriate set on your own which can be a drag. You don’t need to worry about that here.
Who This is Good For: This set is going to be great for anyone with a little bit of skill that is looking to gain some speed at an affordable price. Long-boarders, in particular, may benefit from this set though truly it is versatile enough to be good for most boarders.
I’ll start by mentioning that this next set is guilty of something of a fib.
The Dark Wolf titanium set advertises an impossible ABEC rating of 11. Why is it impossible? The ABEC scale technically maxes out at 9.
Nevertheless, good bearings are good bearings. Let’s take a look at this set’s specifications to see if they make the fib forgivable.
- Material: The titanium at work here is of an extremely high-quality. The material is made to be highly resistant against wear and tear, dust corrosion, and other factors that could otherwise harm the condition of a set of bearings.
- Swell Resistant: One of the biggest cons when it comes to traditional bearing construction (steel, titanium, etc) is that while they are durable and mostly efficient, they also tend to swell. Ceramic has been thought to be the answer to that but it is also a lot more expensive and indeed has its own controversies.
Regardless, you won’t need to worry about that here. The material has been optimized to reduce the risk of swelling to ensure that these bearings will last a long time.
- Precise: These skateboard bearings might not have the non-existent precision score of an eleven, but they do boast a level of precision that is worth appreciating.
Who This is Good For:
Quite honestly, the fib is enough to make me a little leery of this product. Dishonest marketing isn’t cool, and it is almost peculiar that they would choose a lie that is so easily identified as false.
Still, if you can look past the lie you will get a pretty decent set of bearings out of it. All demographics should feel pretty comfortable with these bearings.
The Yellow Jacket premium steel skateboard bearings set comes in at an honest, and very respectable seven on the ABEC scale. They also happen to be affordable, and high-functioning but don’t just take my word for it. Let’s again take a look at the specifications of this steel set to determine if it is right for you.
- Color Seal: This set features a yellow colored seal that is designed to both look cool, and, more importantly, keep rocks, dirt, and other debris out of your bearing. This will both function to improve the lifespan of the set, and to maintain the integrity of its precision.
- Pre-Lubricated: The yellow shield piece is pre-lubricated to guarantee higher wheel speeds. These bearings really are quick. If you have some experience you will probably dig the easy momentum. If not, these may be a little bit too fast for you.
- Moneyback Guarantee: There isn’t a lot of cash at stake with this set, but when you are shelling out your hard-earned dollars, it’s nice to know that your money is being respected. If you don’t feel like you have gotten your ten or so dollars worth out of these bearings, you can send them back for a no questions asked refund.
Who This is Good For:
The Yellow Jacket offers the beginner skater an excellent opportunity to get a good set of bearings at an affordable rate. If you don’t have any experience, the speed might be a little bit testing but at the end of the day, you’ll have to get used to a little bit of adrenaline if you’re going to take skating seriously.
Spitfire is a big deal when it comes to skateboard wheels, and they have just recently taken to expanding into other pieces of equipment, including, of course, bearings.
It is always a little bit of a toss-up trying to decide whether or not to invest in a company’s early line of product, and indeed the ABEC rating of this set is a lukewarm 5. Still, a five certainly is nothing to sneeze at, and Spitfire has enough of a name in the world of skateboarding to at least justify taking a look.
- Reputation: Reputation is definitely worth something. Buying from an established brand is much more reliable than buying from a newer company. While there are unfortunately no guarantees with any purchases (except for the purchases that very literally feature guarantees, of course) but it is always a little bit less of a risk to bet on a company with a history of success.
- Pre-Lubricated: These steel bearings come pre-lubricated to keep them running as smoothly and as quietly as possible.
- Value: This is an entry level set that comes at an entry level price. You’re going to get a lot of quality for your dollar here. This isn’t the cheapest set on the list but it’s definitely affordable, and it would hard to beat the quality to cost ratio present here.
Who This is Good For:
This is an excellent entry level set for the relatively new boarder that is looking to get the most bang possible for their buck. If you want a basic but reliable set of bearings, this is a good option for you.
This next set that we will be looking at offers quantity and quality, all for an affordable price. If you haven’t heard of this brand before that is ok, you certainly are not alone. XiKe certainly has not accumulated quite the same reputation as Bones, but that is not to say that they don’t still rock. This steel set is of a high-quality which you will now see for yourself as we take a closer look at it.
- Double Sealed: The double seal on this set is designed to keep impurities like rocks and dirt out, but it is also made to be easy to remove so that you won’t have any trouble cleaning them.
- Optimized: These bearings have been specially lubricated to an extent that is perfect for maximizing the performance of a skateboard. You can expect a smooth ride and a high-velocity roll with these bearings.
- Nylon Retainer: The fortified nylon retainer featured on this set is made to last. Expect these durable bearings to stick around for a long time to come.
Who are these good for?
The XiKe is another set that is best for the beginner. These are very simple bearings, but there definitely is not anything wrong with that. The truth is, bearings are fairly simple so to see a company approach them as such is actually a little refreshing.
You would have a hard time beating the price with this set, so if you are a beginner that doesn’t want to spend a lot of money, this is definitely another good option to consider.
Did the price make you do a double take? It did, didn’t it? The price made me do a double take. The final set of skateboard bearings that we will be looking at today is available for a rate that truly cannot be beat.
Seriously, the deal is crazy, but of course we wouldn’t include a set of bearings solely because the price is right (though that is a pretty big plus). These bearings also happen to feature an ABEC rating of nine, and boast a performance that is sure to make them a rival of any of the other items featured on today’s list.
One last time let us now take a closer look at the SCSK8s to see if they are right for you.
- Insanely Affordable: A set of these costs literally less than a cup of coffee, making these bearings much more affordable than even the second cheapest item on this list. If price is your primary concern, I think that your decision is pretty much made for you.
- Sealed: The SCSK8s are sealed to ensure that your bearings are durable and resistant to grime. Since riding around without dirty bearings can be a safety hazard this is definitely a feature you want.
- Highest ABEC Rating on the List: To be fair, a high ABEC rating doesn’t necessarily mean that a product is automatically of high-quality (though that is a common misconception) but it certainly does mean that they have the capacity to be of a high quality.
That the SCSK8 is available with an ABEC rating of 9 offers a good opportunity for those looking to get a precision crafted set of bearings at an affordable price.
Who These are Good For:
Literally, anyone that likes a deal. For the price, there really isn’t a reason not to try these. Whether you are a beginner looking to get your first bearings on the cheap, or someone with a little bit more experience that decides they don’t want to continue paying markups, these bearings have got you covered.
The truth of the matter is that the best for you are whichever you feel most comfortable with. While a bad bearing can completely derail the function of a skateboard, and even result in harm to you or your equipment, for the most part, choosing a bearing is mostly a matter of personal taste.
Whether you are looking for something that looks cool, has a big reputation, or is just available for a bargain price, there is something on the market for everyone.
Just try not to stress too much about it. The secret to good skating is in you, not your bearings so make your choice and start shredding!